Thursday, February 25, 2010

Salem Lutheran, Glendale, CA

I know, I know - I owe you some Honduras photos. But, first, a little bit about our visit to Glendale Lutheran in Glendale, CA, basically nice section of Los Angeles. Our friend Kurt Christenson is the Pastor here. A Church about the size of St. Andrew with a K-6 school of about 200 students. Kurt has brought new life to this church through his leadership.

Here is my main take away - Churches need to be in the school business. No, not because of those hysterical right wing arguments about teaching prayer in school, though I'm actually in favor of teaching of religion in High Schools. The reason we should be in the school business is because, we can do it on a small scale. 200 students in a k-6 setting. We can personalize education, make it whole household oriented, be creative, and focus on building the next generation of leaders.

In Honduras, I saw the power of education in young people's lives - then I got back to the states and watched a program about failed schools in Pakistan. Now I'm reading a book about the poorest of the poor in the World, and I'm really scared. Scared that if we don't educate the next generation and make the hard choices that both the left and the right don't want to make - we will be in big trouble.

Running a school is a big responsibility, but then again so is being a Christian.

Honduras pics and words soon.



No comments:

Blog Archive

About the Blog Author

My photo
Charlestown, Rhode Island, United States
Pastor Jim Hazelwood